8.04.2014

Welcome to Wilder



Oh my. The first post on a blogroll is always daunting and simultaneously a wee bit insignificant as it will soon be quite buried! But here we are and Hello! On this momentous occasion of the launching of Wilder Brand Bags, I want you to be clear that here at Wilder we are just a bunch of normal folks. We aren't fancy. We have our ups and downs. We are a family that makes bags with heart and soul. There are three boisterous kids. I have two other jobs and a traveling husband. There is an office cat and a shop dog.

Starting a small creative business is tricky. You have to keep pushing and kicking and clawing at every little spark that shows itself. Because there is no one saying, 'Oh Ivey, you are doing just fine, take your time.'  It's scrappy. I have to steal time from others and have faith. I have to push. Past doubt and fear and uncertainty. Past the notion that maybe I should go find a full time job with benefits so our kids can actually go to college one day. Past the thought that there are five hundred folks out there doing the same thing already and a million factories in China laughing at my process. Past serious time management issues and creative ruts and sewing block. I've never been one to go easy on myself and a small creative business is not a straight forward undertaking, but I'm trying and it's coming together nicely.


Why bags, you ask. Now that's easy....


Find me a person who doesn't love a bag. You can't do it, because that person does not exist. Everyone loves bags. I adore bags. They are useful and utilitarian and ubiquitous. And until we evolve into some odd kangaroo hybrid, this is a rock solid truth. I love fabric and leather, both old and new. I love old textiles that have a history woven through them. I like taking something and making it into something else. I love nestling a vintage fabric into a work horse canvas to make a classic carry-all with an old soul. Wilder bags are built to last forever. Your bag will age gracefully. Your Wilder bag will become a part of your everyday adventure. Hell, it will lead the charge!


Welcome to Wilder! Welcome to our world! We are making sturdy bags out of awesome materials that will inspire your adventures. I hope you'll join our journey!